Bridging Accelerates Success aligns and bridges the great: people, teams, process, culture, strategy, data and so forth that fill organizations together to produce results beyond expectations.
The concept of Bridging Accelerates Success in theory is simple and logical. For example - bridging a training program to a culture of Leadership, Coaching and Development to ensure sustainable results and maximum return - is something everyone would agree makes sense.
Recently, I heard of a situation where a client, highly and internationally ranked as a top place to work, spent a couple of hundreds of thousands of Euros on sales training. The plan was to train select sales forces with selling skills and simultaneously their managers with the same skills plus sales coaching skills to sustain and re-enforce the training.
The training was very well received and the contract, originally for one year, was extended based on the feedback by the participants.
In the second year, the client realized that they were not seeing the long-term sustainable results and return on investment they had expected.
There were many reasons for this, some outside and some inside the control of the client. Remember, a training company impacts results during the time everyone is “in the training room.” After this, it is up to the individuals, managers and organization that hired the training company.
Here are the factors that were identified as leading to what was considered not meeting the return on the investment expected by the client:
- Lack of senior management support, clear and enforced expectations, and communications from the national or local levels
- Lack of a Sales and Marketing focused Leadership, Coaching and Development Culture for management – The initial management development training binders included a total of two (2) pages on the concept of sales being interactions with customers
- The sales process the organization utilized did not match the training and although the desire to change was the reason for the training, the sales process did not.
- Those responsible for items such as measuring customer satisfaction, mystery shopping, employee development and performance appraisals were given no direction by senior management to connect the training to their areas
- The last people engaged with the training company were the National Sales Managers responsible for those sales forces that were trained.
Here is an example of the impact to employees: one sales professional championed the training – until…. He was mystery shopped. It did not go well according to the mystery shop checklist. The result, this champion told their manager that they were going back to the old way because if they “failed” two more they would be fired. Analysis showed that the mystery shopper checklist was counter to the sales training.
This example happens all too often and highlights the importance of Bridging Accelerates Success.
The client would have seen greater financial and non-financial returns on their investment if they first implemented Bridging Accelerates Success by:
- Senior Management bridged through the organization too Sales Professionals receiving training with clear and specific communication and expectations
- Human Resources bridged with the front-line Sales Managers to establish policies, processes and procedures to measure, monitor and sustain the training
- The organization’s excellent people culture bridged to the specific culture of Leadership, Coaching and Development of Sales and Marketing.
Before you start on another round of training, talk to us about how the personal development in your organizations become more sustainable by utilizing Bridging Accelerates Success concepts.
by Chris Houghtaling